Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Weeping Definitely Endures for the Night...


I am holding two realities in tandem:  I loving being a momma, and I am really really dead tired.  

Last night was one of the worst yet, and our child is well out of the newborn stage.   I don’t know if it was teething, tummy ache, or just fussiness, but she screamed for three hours in the middle of the night.  We don’t sleep much to begin with.  This is an understatement.  She usually sleeps for two hours at a time, and she is seven months old. I can’t really figure out sleep training thing.  I can’t even figure out how I feel about sleep training.  
Sometimes Jordan has to hold me down at night so that I don’t get up to comfort at the first sound of distress.  Other times, I punch him, or scream at him, or both punch and scream, leap out of bed, and swoop in to “rescue” my baby.  I don’t condone punching or screaming at your husband.  It just seems instinctual at times. I'm trying to stop. 
Consistency at night is not my best quality.  I am genuinely happy for mommies who have babies that start sleeping through the night at seven weeks, or four months, or six months.  And I also have moments when am ferociously envious of those mommas.  Mainly those moments arise at one in the morning.  
I LOVE being the one who gets to nurse my baby.  That communion together is precious, and most of the time I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.  And I get really mad at God that He didn’t make daddies with the capability of lactation. Come on, God, it would have been so easy. Just insert the little mammary glands into their boobies too. Then we could share duties. This anger with God also usually surfaces in the wee hours of the morning.  
In the middle of the night, muddling through hours of screaming, I don’t know how we are going to make it through.  I can’t see a light at the end of the tunnel.  I feel like a terrible mommy and an even worse wife.  Then the dawn comes.  Another night over.  The light of the morning comes every day.  There is grace.  There are apologies. Sometimes many profuse apologies.  Maybe we will figure out sleep.  Maybe we won’t.  Hopefully we will. But we love.  
Her morning smiles, babbling, giggling, and playing wash over the dirty remnants of the difficult night. It is cleansed.  Joy will come after tears. 
I am so glad that the morning follows night.  Always.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post Megan. I will never forget the sleepless nights. It was definitely the hardest part about babies. Be sure to give yourself some much deserved breaks.:)

    ReplyDelete